Whole orange and almond cake
SmartPoints® value per serving
2 hr 20 min
Enjoy this extra-moist citrus-infused cake with fresh oranges and dollop of yoghurt.
¾ cup(s), (165g)
White self-raising flour
1¼ cup(s), (185g)
99% fat-free vanilla yoghurt, sweetened
2 tsp, to dust
- Place 2 of the oranges in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, then drain. Cover with cold water again, return to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, adding a little more water to pan as necessary. Drain oranges. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 170°C or 150°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 22cm round cake tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Cut cooked oranges into quarters, remove and discard any seeds. Place oranges in a food processor and process until smooth. Place sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick. Add orange mixture and fold in until well combined, then add the almond meal, flour and baking powder and stir until well combined. Stir in yogurt.
- Spoon cake mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 50-55 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in tin for 15 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel and remove the white pith from remaining oranges and cut into segments. Place cake on a serving plate, top with orange segments and dust with icing sugar. Serve with extra yogurt.