Vegie chips with flavoured salt
SmartPoints® value per serving
Do you ever feel those chip cravings coming on? We’ve made these colourful, crunchy crisps that are super delicious and good for you.
Orange sweet potato (kumara)
120 g, peeled (Buy 150g)
8 cup(s), (8 leaves)
Fresh lemon rind
3 tbs, (of 1 lemon)
Dried chilli flakes
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Peel sweet potato, beetroot and swede and cut crossways into 2mm slices. Tear kale leaves, from the centre stem, into large pieces.
- Working in batches, arrange vegetable slices on trays in a single layer, leaving space around them.
- Lightly spray with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes for root vegetables, and 15 minutes for kale, until lightly coloured. Transfer chips to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- To make lemon salt, spread lemon rind on a lined oven tray and bake for 5 minutes or until dry. Cool, then combine with 2 tsp salt in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- To make chilli salt, combine chilli flakes and 2 tsp salt in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- To make rosemary salt, combine rosemary and 2 tsp salt in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Sprinkle with flavoured or plain salt to serve.
TIPS: To get very thin, even slices use a mandolin to cut the vegetables. If you don’t have one, use a large sharp knife and cut as thinly as possible. Don’t overcrowd the baking trays – the vegetables need space to dry out. Chips will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. They will become soft, though, so return to the oven before serving.