Vegetarian enchiladas with rice
Orange sweet potato (kumara)
400 g, (kumara), cut into 2cm pieces
Baby spinach leaves
80 g, roughly chopped
Cooked black beans
240 g, (can), rinsed, drained
Canned corn kernels in brine, rinsed, drained
186 g, (can), rinsed, drained
Reduced fat feta cheese
100 g, crumbled
375 ml, (or enchilada sauce)
12 small, white, (12 x 26g)
Reduced-fat 15% cheddar cheese
½ cup(s), grated, (60g), grated
4 individual, (green), thinly sliced
Rice, white, dry
½ cup(s), long grain, (100g)
½ tsp, (Mexican)
1 cup(s), (250ml)
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange sweet potato in a single layer on prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil and bake for 25–30 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Cool.
- Place sweet potato, spinach, black beans, corn and feta in a large bowl. Add half the sauce and toss gently to combine.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook tortillas, 1 at a time, for 15–20 seconds each side or until warm and lightly golden. Lightly spray a 22cm x 36cm ovenproof dish with oil. Lay tortillas on a flat surface. Top each with a heaped ¼ cup sweet potato mixture and roll to enclose filling. Place tortillas, seam-side down, in prepared dish in a single layer.
- Drizzle remaining sauce over centre of enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden and enchiladas are heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste. Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, tightly covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir to separate the grains. Serve enchiladas with rice.