Vegan mac and 'cheese'
Pumpkin, butternut, raw
1000 g, peeled, deseeded, diced
250 g, macaroni
2 clove(s), crushed
1½ tsp, English variety
Almond milk unsweetened
1 tbs, chopped, plus extra to serve
Mixed salad leaves
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin on prepared tray and lightly spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tender and golden. Process in a food processor or mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Combine cornflour and mustard in a large jug. Gradually whisk in almond milk until combined and smooth. Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, cook, stirring for 20 seconds. Gradually stir almond milk mixture into pan with garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and stir in nutritional yeast and mashed pumpkin until well combined. Add pasta and chives and stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into a 1.25 litre (5-cup) capacity baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden.
- Toss salad leaves with lemon juice. Sprinkle macaroni ‘cheese’ with extra chives and serve with salad leaves.