Sweet potato gnocchi in tomato sauce
Orange sweet potato (kumara)
350 g, peeled, cut into chunks
Grated parmesan cheese
Whole tomato canned in tomato juice
800 g, chopped
3 clove(s), crushed
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C. Place sweet potato on a baking tray. Cook for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook potato in boiling salted water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Place over a very low heat for 2 minutes or until dry.
- Squeeze out flesh of sweet potato from skins and add to potato. Mash well. Add egg yolk, 30g parmesan and three-quarters of the flour. Add nutmeg and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Scatter half of the remaining flour over a work surface. Shape the gnocchi mixture into a log. Cut into bite-sized pieces-dip the knife into remaining flour so mixture doesn't stick to the knife as you cut. If desired, roll each piece into the back of a fork to make a ridged pattern. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the gnocchi in batches. As they rise to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add gnocchi. Simmer over low heat for a further 10 minutes. Top with basil leaves and extra parmesan cheese and serve.