Sushi bento snack box
1 medium, cut in half
Dried chilli flakes
1 pinch, (optional)
Cooked skinless chicken breast
50 g, shredded
Reduced-fat Japanese mayonnaise
Dried nori seeweed
1 sheet(s), (good quality from Asian grocer)
Cooked brown rice
⅔ cup(s), (115g)
¼ medium, thinly sliced
Baby spinach leaves
½ cup(s), (10g)
⅔ cup(s), grated, (80g), shredded
⅓ cup(s), shelled (65g)
- To make sushi sandwich (onigirazu), mix chicken and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut a rectangle of plastic wrap (see tip), about double the size of your nori sheet and place on top of a chopping board. Place nori sheet on top, shiny side down and rotated 45°. Use a pastry brush to very lightly coat the nori sheet with water (do not over-water). Using wet hands, place half the rice in the middle of the nori sheet and shape into a compacted square. Top rice with avocado, spinach and chicken mixture. Gently press down to compress layers, then using wet hands, top with remaining rice.
- To enclose sandwich, fold the right corner of the nori sheet over the top of filling, then fold over the left corner. Repeat with the top and bottom corners to create a square parcel. Wrap parcel tightly with plastic wrap, flip over and press down gently to compress sandwich. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make slaw, combine carrot, edamame and soy sauce in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a single compartment of your snack box.
- Place egg in a separate, single compartment and sprinkle with chilli flakes (if using).
- Remove plastic wrap from sushi sandwich. Using a very sharp knife, carefully slice sandwich in half and place into a double compartment of your snack box. Seal snack box with lid and place in the fridge until ready to eat.