Steak and mushroom pies
2 x 3 second spray(s)
Trimmed beef chuck steak
400 g, (buy 500g), fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
1 medium, thinly sliced
1 clove(s), crushed
300 g, quartered
Herb and garlic tomato paste
80 g, (1/3 cup)
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Reduced-fat puff pastry
1 individual, just thawed
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Lightly spray four 1-cup (250ml) capacity ovenproof dishes with oil.
- Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook steak, in batches, for 2–3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Spray same pan with oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of water.Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return steak to pan with tomato paste and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1½ hours or until meat is tender. Cool for 10 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut pastry into 4 squares. Spoon steak mixture into prepared dishes. Top each with a square of pastry. Press edges to seal and cut 2 slits in the top of each pie. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve.