Spiced cherry filo tart
SmartPoints® value per serving
The mixed spice and ginger add a depth of flavour to dark, sweet cherries.
Cherries, pitted, frozen
1 cup(s), (220g)
Uncooked filo pastry
3 medium, at room temperature
8 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23cm x 33cm slice tin (base measurement) with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang 3cm.
- Cut half of the cherries in half. Combine all cherries, juice, mixed spice, ginger and ¼ cup (55g) of sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until cherries thaw and sugar dissolves. Blend the cornflour and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Stir cornflour mixture into cherry mixture and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray 1 sheet of filo with oil. Top with another sheet of filo and lightly spray with oil. Continue layering with remaining filo and oil spray. Place pastry in prepared tin, folding in short ends to form a 4-sided tart case. Prick base all over with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp. Allow to cool. Spread cooled cherry mixture over cooled pastry. Increase oven to 220°C.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until it dissolves.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe small rounds over cherry filling. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until meringue turns light golden in colour. Cool completely. Serve.