Sarah’s sticky date cake with butterscotch sauce
3 - 6
PersonalPoints™ per serving
Recipe by our WW Ambassador Sarah. Follow her on Instagram @sarahs_recipes. Sarah is a strong believer in never missing out on the foods you love! Her sticky date cake drizzled with butterscotch sauce will definitely leave you satisfied.
16 individual, pitted, chopped
Bicarbonate of soda
White self-raising flour
⅔ cup(s), (100g)
2 medium, lightly beaten
8 individual, sliced
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly spray a 20cm round cake tin with oil and line base with baking paper.
- Combine dates and 1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on High (100%) for 1½ minutes. Remove, stir in bicarbonate of soda and mash dates with a fork (this will foam).
- Add flour to date mixture and stir until just combined. Add eggs and stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and smooth surface. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make butterscotch sauce, place brown sugar and 1½ tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in cream and bring to the boil. Gently boil, stirring, for 6 minutes or until the sauce turns a caramel colour and is slightly thickened. Stir in a pinch of salt.
- Transfer warm cake to a plate and cut into 8 slices. Top with strawberry slices. Serve each slice with 1/2 tablespoon of butterscotch sauce.
TIP: Cake and sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Keep in separate containers in the fridge. Reheat individual servings in the microwave on High (100%) for 30 seconds before serving.