Roasted pumpkin, cottage cheese and caramelised onion empanadas
Flour, spelt, wholemeal
1 cup(s), (150g)
300 g, peeled, cut into 2cm chunks
1 large, thinly sliced
2 clove(s), thinly sliced
Frozen boiled spinach, drained
50 g, (2 cubes), thawed
97% fat-free cottage cheese
65 g, (1/3 cup)
- Combine spelt flour and a large pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons oil, egg yolk and ¼ cup (60ml) iced water. Mix with a fork until mixture comes together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 4 balls. Place on a tray, cover with a clean damp cloth and set aside for 1 hour to rest.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Spread pumpkin on 1 prepared tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until caramelised. Cool.
- Squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Combine pumpkin, onion mixture, cottage cheese and spinach in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll each ball of pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to a 14cm-diameter circle. Spread a one-third cupful of filling over half the pastry. Brush edges with water and fold to form a semi-circle. Press edges of pastry together with a fork. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to make 3 more empanadas. Place on second prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Combine mint, parsley, chilli, white balsamic vinegar and remaining oil in a small bowl. Serve empanadas with herb salsa.