Pork and cabbage rolls
¾ cup(s), (150g)
5 cup(s), 12 large leaves
Lean pork mince
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), finely chopped
Dried chilli flakes
½ tsp, dried
Canned diced tomatoes
1200 g, (Buy 3x400g can)
- Place rice in a medium saucepan with 1½ cups (375ml) of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave cabbage leaves until just tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water and drain. Remove and discard thick stem part from each cabbage leaf.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pork, stirring to break up lumps, for 5–7 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil in same pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add paprika and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice, pork and 400g tomatoes. Bring to the boil and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, process remaining tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. Season puree with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Working with 1 at a time, place ½ cup mince mixture in the centre of each cabbage leaf. Roll to enclose filling.
- Spread a little tomato puree over the base of a 30cm x 20cm (6cm deep) ovenproof dish. Top with cabbage rolls. Pour over remaining puree and bake, covered, for 1 hour or until tender. Serve.