Pasta with eggplant, basil and pancetta
60 g, (4 slices) thinly sliced
Shaved parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
4 baby, finger variety, thinly sliced
1 medium, thinly sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
¾ cup(s), (185ml)
250 g, tortiglioni variety
½ cup(s), torn
- Halve half the tomatoes. Heat oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook eggplant, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and tender. Remove from pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add halved and whole tomatoes, passata and ½ cup (125ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until tomatoes collapse and sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain.
- Preheat grill on high. Line a baking tray with foil. Place pancetta on prepared tray and grill, turning once, for 4–5 minutes or until crisp. When cool enough to handle, break pancetta into small pieces.
- Add pasta and eggplant to sauce and toss gently to combine. Serve pasta sprinkled with pancetta, basil and parmesan.