Mexican bean and tomato soup with tortilla crisps
dry red kidney beans
dry haricot beans
dried black beans
⅓ cup(s), (65g)
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
canned diced tomatoes
400 g, (1x400g can)
2 cup(s), (500ml)
160 g, (4x40g)
1 cup(s), leaves
Bega Country Light Cheese, Tasty, 50% Less Fat, Grated
Delmaine (NZ), Jalapenos
40 g, (2tbs)
- Place four bean mix and black beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover and set aside overnight to soak. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin, ground coriander and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add beans, tomatoes, stock, Tabasco and 2 cups (500ml) water and bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to a 4.5 litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high for 3 hours (or low for 6 hours).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges. Arrange wedges on 2 large baking trays. Bake, turning once, for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Stir fresh coriander into soup. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeños and serve with tortilla crisps.