French-style one-pot chicken
720 g, (Buy 1.6kg) fat trimmed
112 g, (Buy 125g) fat trimmed, chopped
2 whole, thickly sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
1½ cup(s), (375ml)
150 g, button variety, halved
1 tbs, (4 sprigs)
3 large, cut into batons
700 g, (2 large) cut into batons
Frozen green peas
1 cup(s), (120g)
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Pat chicken dry (inside and out) with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen string to secure.
- Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Cook chicken, breast side down, for 5 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook bacon and leek in same dish, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened and light golden. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add ½ cup (125ml) stock and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the dish with a flat-edged spatula to remove any cooked-on-bits.
- Push bacon mixture to edge of dish. Place chicken in dish, breast-side up. Arrange mushrooms, thyme, carrot and parsnip around chicken, then pour over remaining stock. Bake in oven, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, adding peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve chicken with vegetables, drizzled with a little cooking liquid.