French onion soup with cheesy toasts
1 tbs, (8 leaves)
1 tbs, finely chopped
1000 g, (1kg), thinly sliced
Wine, white, dry-style
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
Beef stock, liquid, salt-reduced
4 cup(s), (1L)
80 g, (8 x 10g slices)
Reduced-fat 15% cheddar cheese
½ cup(s), grated, (60 g)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sage and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Reheat same pan over medium-high heat. Cook thyme and onion, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until onion is soft and caramelised.
- Add wine and cook for 1 minute, or until reduced by half. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually stir in stock and 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Grill bread for 1-2 minutes each side, or until toasted. Sprinkle 1 side of each piece of bread with cheese and grill for 1 minute, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve soup topped with cheesy toasts and sage.