1 hr 55 min
These little morsels of joy are a wonderful sweet-treat for the whole family
2 cup(s), (300g)
⅓ cup(s), (75g)
Vanilla bean extract
1 cup(s), (160g)
Reduced fat oil spread
Shredded or desiccated coconut
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and yeast. Combine oil, vanilla and ¾ cup (185ml) warm water in a jug (see tip). Add to flour mixture and mix until well combined. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl and lightly spray top with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Punch down dough with your hand. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1–2 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 16 equal portions and roll each portion into 10cm-long logs.
- Place logs, 5cm apart, on prepared trays. Cover with a clean tea towel and place in a warm place for 20 minutes or until risen. Bake buns for 15–20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place icing sugar and spread in a medium bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon warm water and stir until thick and smooth. Stir in enough food colouring for desired colour. Spread icing over buns and sprinkle with coconut. Serve.
TIP: Use lukewarm water – if it’s too hot it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise. You can store these buns in an airtight container for up to 3 days.