Eggplant BLT sandwiches
Garlic, dried, powder or flakes
1½ medium, ripe
120 g, (4 x 30g slices), toasted
1 large, cut into 8 slices
8 each, baby
½ small, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine oil, soy sauce, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable slicer, cut eggplant into very thin slices lengthwise (if using a knife, cut eggplant crosswise into very thin rounds). You need 16 slices; save any leftover eggplant for another use.
- Arrange eggplant on prepared tray in a single layer. Brush both sides of eggplant with the spiced oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until beginning to char. Slide eggplant with paper onto work surface and set aside to cool (eggplant will get crispier).
- Meanwhile, mash avocado and lemon juice in a small bowl until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, lay toasted bread on work surface. Top each with mashed avocado, tomato, lettuce, onion and eggplant.