Corned beef with white sauce and mashed potatoes
⅓ cup(s), (malt), (80ml)
trimmed beef silverside roast
600 g, (buy 1.2kg piece), fat trimmed
2 medium, coarsley chopped
600 g, chopped
2½ cup(s), (625ml)
reduced fat oil spread
- Place 3 litres (12 cups) water, cloves, vinegar, silverside and half the onion in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Set aside to cool in pan for 30 minutes. Drain and thinly slice, discarding any fat.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender. Drain. Mash in a bowl with ½ cup (125ml) milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Place bay leaves and remaining onion and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Strain milk mixture into a large jug. Discard solids.
- Heat spread in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add milk mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth and combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1–2 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Serve silverside with mashed potatoes and white sauce.