Chilli beef with hummus
Wholemeal pita bread
2 large, (2x68g)
Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
800 g, (2 x 400g cans)
3 clove(s), chopped
350 g, halved
1 small, thinly sliced
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs, finely chopped
Red wine vinegar
Lean beef sirloin steak
400 g, (Buy 500g) fat trimmed, cut into 4 steaks
Dried chilli flakes
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Cut each pita bread into 8 triangles. Arrange on a large baking tray and lightly spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once, or until crisp and golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, process chickpeas, garlic, juice, tahini, cumin and a large pinch of salt in a food processor, gradually adding 150ml ice-cold water until hummus is smooth and thick. For a thinner consistency, add a little more water. Transfer hummus to a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until warmed through.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, parsley, vinegar and pita chips in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place steaks between 2 sheets of baking paper and pound with a meat mallet or a rolling pin until 1cm thick. Rub steaks with chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly spray a chargrill or barbecue with oil and preheat over high heat. Cook beef for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover beef with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Serve beef with hummus and tomato salad.