Chicken with lemon, olives, dates and saffron
630 g, (Buy 1.4kg)
1 medium, cut into quarters
12 clove(s), peeled
500 g, small, red-skinned, halved
½ tsp, threads
1 cup(s), (250ml), reduced-salt
Green olives, drained
⅓ cup(s), (50g), Sicilian
¼ individual, chopped
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs, chopped
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Trim excess fat from chicken. Discard neck. Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place lemon into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with unwaxed white kitchen string.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frying with oil and heat over high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- Lightly spray same pan with oil and heat over high heat. Add garlic and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add stock and saffron and bring to the boil. Transfer to cooker.
- Cook, covered, on high for 2½ hours (or low for 5 hours). Add olives and dates and cook, uncovered, on high for 20 minutes (or low for 40 minutes). Skim off any excess oil.
- To serve, carefully remove skin from chicken. Serve with potatoes, drizzle with cooking juices and sprinkle with parsley.