Carrot and pineapple cake
Canned pineapple in natural juice, drained
440 g, crushed
White self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (150g)
Plain wholemeal flour
¾ cup(s), (110g)
Bicarbonate of soda
⅓ cup(s), (75g)
1½ medium, grated
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
Extra light cream cheese
Low-fat ricotta cheese
75 g, smooth
Fresh lemon rind
1 tsp, finely grated, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 22cm round cake tin with oil. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Drain pineapple through a sieve set over a large bowl. Press pineapple with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Reserve ⅓ cup (80ml) juice.
- Sift flours, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Return flour husks to bowl. Stir in brown sugar, carrot and drained pineapple. Whisk eggs, oil, milk and reserved pineapple juice in a jug until combined. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 50–55 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Using electric beaters, beat cream cheese, ricotta, icing sugar and rind in a small bowl until smooth. Spread icing over cooled cake and sprinkle with extra rind. Serve.