Braised lamb shanks with borlotti beans
Lean lamb shank
650 g, (4 x 280g shanks) fat trimmed
1 medium, chopped
2 stick(s), cut in 2cm pieces
4 medium, cut in 2cm pieces
1 clove(s), crushed
125 ml, (½ cup) dry
2½ cup(s), (625ml)
Dried bay leaf
2 whole, dried
Canned borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
230 g, (400g can)
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place flour in a large snap-lock bag. Season with salt and pepper. Add lamb and shake to coat. Reserve any remaining flour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook lamb, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Lightly spray same pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrot, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and reserved flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add wine and bring to the boil. Add lamb, Worcestershire, stock, bay leaves and 2 rosemary sprigs and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- Add tomatoes and beans and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, remove leaves from remaining rosemary sprig and finely chop. Serve lamb and beans sprinkled with rosemary.