Bean and barley burgers
99% fat-free, plain Greek yoghurt, unsweetened
¼ cup(s), (60g)
Wholemeal bread roll
6 large, (6 x 60g rolls)
1 baby, or gem lettuce, leaves separated
½ cup(s), rinsed, (100g)
Canned corn kernels, rinsed and drained
1 125g can
1 medium, finely chopped
Fresh green chilli
1 whole, long, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
Ground cayenne pepper
Canned pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1 400g can, (1 x400g can)
¼ cup(s), chopped
1 medium, lightly beaten
Grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), finely grated (20g)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- To make patties, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add barley and simmer for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and spread over a large plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook corn, onion and chilli, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, for a further 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate to cool. Wipe pan clean with paper towel.
- Pulse beans in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl, add cooked barley, corn mixture, coriander, egg and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Transfer half of the mixture to the food processor and process until finely chopped but not completely smooth. Return processed mixture to the bowl and stir to combine with remaining mixture. Divide into 6 equal portions. Shape portions into 10cm round patties.
- Lightly spray the same frying pan again with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook patties in 2 batches for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine yoghurt and lime juice in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, split bread rolls in half and toast lightly. Spread roll bases with lime yoghurt, then top with burger patties and lettuce. Cover with roll tops.