Barley risotto with balsamic pork and beetroot
1 cup(s), (200g)
freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
2 clove(s), crushed
lean pork fillet
320 g, (buy 400g) halved crossways
500 g, sliced
salt reduced chicken stock
3 cup(s), (750ml)
1 medium, finely chopped
baby spinach leaves
60 g, crumbled
fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tbs, or chervil to serve
- Place barley in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and set aside for 4 hours. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine juice, vinegar and half the garlic in a shallow dish. Add pork and turn to coat. Cover and place in fridge until required.
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Wrap each beetroot in foil and place on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel beetroots and cut into strips.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until just tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Place stock in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until required.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and remaining garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add barley and stir to coat. Reduce heat and add hot stock mixture, a ladle (½ cup/125ml) at a time, stirring constantly for 20–25 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat remaining oil in same cleaned frying pan used for mushrooms over medium-high heat. Cook pork, turning, for 5–7 minutes or until browned. Transfer to prepared tray and bake for 8 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover pork with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before slicing thickly.
- Stir mushrooms and spinach into risotto mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through and spinach wilts. Top risotto with beetroot, pork and goat’s cheese. Sprinkle with chervil or parsley to serve.