Hungry Girl Goes... To the Kitchen to Make Soup!
One of the best things to eat when it's cold out is soup! Here are a couple of great, super-simple soup recipes for you. Make them, slurp them, love them!
Zuppa di Fagioli a la HG
- One 14.5-oz. can Amy's Organic Light in Sodium Chunky Tomato Bisque
- 1/2 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kind by Boca or Morningstar Farms)
- 1/3 cup canned cannellini beans (a.k.a. white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Place all ingredients except Parm-style topping and optional garnish in a pot, and bring to medium-high heat on the stove. Stirring occasionally, cook until crumbles have thawed and soup is hot. Top each serving with 1/2 tsp Parm-style topping and, if you like, a little chopped parsley. Slurp!
- MAKES 2 SERVINGS
- Each cup has 182 calories, 4g fat, 27g carbs, 5.75g fiber, 10g protein, and a PointsPlus™ value of 4.
HG's The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 3 cups green enchilada sauce
- One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
- 10 oz. cooked and shredded (or chopped) skinless lean chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen white (or yellow) corn
- Optional: dash hot sauce, or more to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips
- In a large pot, bring broth to a low boil on the stove. Add celery and onion, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender. Stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add chicken and corn. Mix well. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until hot. Add a dash or more hot sauce. (Or not. It's your soup.) Serve and, if you like, top with shredded cheese and/or crushed chips. Enjoy!!!
- MAKES 9 SERVINGS
- Each cup has 105 calories, 1.75g fat, 12.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 11g protein, and a PointsPlus value of 3.
Where will Hungry Girl go next week? Check back Monday to find out!
More About Hungry Girl
Learn how Hungry Girl came to be — and more!
Hungry Girl, aka Lisa Lillien, distributes her tips, tricks and takes on new food products through her daily emails and Web site. Check out www.Hungry-Girl.com
To read an archive of Hungry Girl’s past articles, head over to our Community.