Serve this up on a cold weekday night. Freeze leftovers in 1-cup containers for easy, portion-controlled lunches another time.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 4 medium poblano chile, seeded, diced
- 2 item(s) serrano chile(s), seeded, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- 45 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup(s) salsa verde
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup(s) cilantro, minced, fresh
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, coriander and oregano; stir and cook, 1 minute.
Add broth, chicken and beans; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate; let rest 5 minutes and then shred with two forks.
Return shredded chicken to pot and stir in salsa verde, lime juice and cilantro; heat through.
Serving size: 1 c
- Leftovers make a great filling for soft tacos or burritos.