Vegan Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) vegetable oil, coconut variety
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup(s) hot water, almost boiling, divided
- 1 cup(s) dried shredded and sweetened coconut meat, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar with oil and vanilla until well-blended. Add half of flour mixture and half of water to sugar mixture; beat until smooth. Add coconut, remaining water and remaining flour mixture; beat until well-combined (dough might be a little stiff and sticky).
- Scoop scant tablespoons of dough and roll into balls; place on prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1 1/2- to 2-inches between each cookie. When all 50 cookies are made, flatten each ball into a 2-inch disk with the back of a wet spoon or fork.
- Bake until done, about 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets for about 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.