It is the high oven temperature that gives these flavorful onion rings their extra crispiness. Use an oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your oven.
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, plain variety
- 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning, Old Bay variety
- 2 large uncooked vidalia onion(s), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds and separated
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray two large baking sheets with nonstick spray.
Put the flour in a large zip-close plastic bag. Whisk together the buttermilk, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning in a large shallow bowl.
Add the onion rings, a few at a time, to the flour and shake to coat. Dip the rings, one at a time, in the buttermilk mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs, transferring the rings as they are coated to the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden and crispy, about 20 minutes. Yields 8 onion rings per serving.