- 8 leaf/leaves uncooked green cabbage
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1/2 cup(s) long grain cooked brown rice, regular or instant
- 1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
Place cabbage leaves in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover leaves; set saucepan over high heat. Bring water to boil; boil until leaves are pliable and soft, about 10 minutes. Drain. When leaves are cool enough to handle, cut away thickest part of vein from bottom of leaves, making a V-shaped cut but leaving leaves intact.
Meanwhile, combine turkey, onion, rice, egg, parsley, garlic, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in large bowl; mix well.
Place about ¼ cup turkey mixture in center of each leaf. Fold in sides of leaves and roll up snuggly, burrito-style, fully covering filling.
Pour small amount of tomatoes into saucepan so thin layer covers bottom of pot. Place cabbage rolls in pot, packing them tightly to prevent opening during cooking; pour in remaining tomatoes and broth. Set pot over medium-high heat and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
Serving size: 2 stuffed leaves and about ½ cup sauce
- If the sauce is watery, you can reduce it slightly to make it thicker and concentrate the flavor: Transfer the stuffed cabbage leaves to a platter and keep them warm, return the saucepan to medium heat, and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened.