Stuffed Peppers with Mediterranean-Spiced Quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), yellow, diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, Italian-style, undrained
- 1 cup(s) cooked quinoa, rinsed if indicated on package
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 tsp table salt
- 4 medium sweet red pepper(s)
- 10 medium olive(s), kalamata, chopped
- 1 cup(s) chickpeas (15 oz), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp store-bought pesto sauce
- 1/3 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and kosher salt; cook, stirring occasionally until onion softens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic to pan; cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes and their liquid, quinoa, water and table salt to pan; stir well to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice top off each pepper and remove core, ribs and seeds; reserve tops for another use. Make a thin slice across bottom of each pepper so it sits flat; place on prepared baking sheet.
- When quinoa is done cooking, stir in olives, chickpeas and pesto.
- Spoon about 1 cup quinoa mixture into each pepper; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each with 4 teaspoons feta; return to oven and continue cooking until feta is slightly melted, about 5 minutes more. Yield 1 stuffed pepper per serving.