- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small uncooked onion(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, Italian-style
- 1 cup(s) cooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup(s) water
- 4 medium sweet red pepper(s)
- 10 medium olive(s), kalamata, chopped
- 1 cup(s) chickpeas (15 oz), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp store-bought pesto sauce
- 1/3 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 5−7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes and their liquid, quinoa, water, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice top off each bell pepper and remove core, ribs, and seeds; reserve tops for another use. Cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they sit flat; place on prepared baking sheet.
Combine quinoa mixture, olives, chickpeas, and pesto. Spoon about 1 cup mixture into each bell pepper; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each pepper with a heaping tablespoon of feta; return peppers to oven and continue baking until cheese is slightly melted, about 5 minutes more.
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Quinoa grows with a bitter, protective coating called saponin on its grains, so giving it a good rinse in a fine-mesh sieve is essential before cooking.