Sweet apples balance the slight pepperiness of watercress and the anise flavor of fennel in this delicious salad. Top with grilled chicken for a complete meal.
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb(s), with fronds
- 2 medium fresh apple(s), (Gravenstein, Braeburn, Gala, or Pink Lady)
- 1 bunch(es) fresh watercress, trimmed (4 c leaves)
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, shallots, salt, and pepper. Chop enough fronds from fennel to equal 2 Tbsp; stir into dressing.
Insert 1 apple into spiralizer so that core is aligned with round steel spindle. Spiralize apple with chipper blade into twisty noodles; toss with dressing to coat. Repeat with remaining apple.
Trim fennel; leave core intact. Spiralize fennel bulb with shredder blade into thin strips; add to bowl with apples.
Add watercress to bowl; toss to coat and sprinkle with walnuts.
Serving size: about 1 3/4 c