This recipe tastes like the essence of summer. Make sure to use really ripe tomatoes and fresh basil for the best flavor.
- 2 1/4 pound(s) fresh tomato(es), ripe heirloom or beefsteak, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/4 tsp minced garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, fresh, sliced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked spaghetti squash
In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper; let stand, tossing occasionally, until tomatoes release their juices and mixture is quite juicy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds; place squash in a covered microwave-safe dish. Cook on high power until strands of squash separate when flesh is scraped with a fork, about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast squash for about 20 minutes in oven.
Scrape spaghetti squash from peel with a fork to form strands; add to bowl with tomatoes and toss to coat. Yields about 2 cups per serving.
- Chunks of fresh mozzarella or freshly grated Parmesan cheese would be a delicious addition to this meal (could affect SmartPoints value).