South of France Flatout Flatbread
SmartPoints® value per serving
This lovely baked flatbread is a version of pissaladière, a Provençal tart made with olives, onions, and anchovies. Caramelized onions are super easy to make without butter or added fat; all you need to do is get a good non-stick pan, spray a little cooking oil on it to start, and then add a whole slew of thinly sliced onions and start stirring. Once the onions start to look dry, add a bit of water to deglaze the pan, stir the onions around some more, and repeat the process of adding the water, stirring, and deglazing until everything is caramelized and delicious looking.
Spinach pide (flatbread)
1 large, yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
Anchovies canned in oil drained
Small canned black ripe olive(s)
9 item(s), pitted, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place Flatout flatbread on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for two minutes, then remove from the oven.
- In a non-stick skillet on medium to high heat, treat the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the onions, stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water occasionally, allowing the onions to brown and caramelize in between water (about 10 minutes.)
- Season the onions with salt and pepper, then arrange them evenly over the flatbread.
- Next, add the anchovies and olives over the onions.
- Bake at 375°F for four (4) minutes.
- Remove from the oven, scatter fresh thyme over the flatbread, and serve immediately.