- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 pound(s) uncooked beets, red and/or golden, scrubbed
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup(s) uncooked wheat berries
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), sliced (white and light green parts), or to taste
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh parsley, flat-leaf, chopped, or to taste
- 1/3 cup(s) semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
Place beets on prepared baking pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle beets with 1/2 teaspoon salt and tightly cover with foil; roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow beets to cool slightly; rub with paper towels to remove skin. Dice beets or cut into thick matchsticks; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover wheat berries with 2 inches of water; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until wheat berries are tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Drain; set aside.
While beets and wheat berries cook, in a small bowl, to make vinaigrette, combine orange juice, marmalade, oil, vinegar and remaining teaspoon salt.
Spoon wheat berries into a serving bowl and gently toss with beets, vinaigrette, scallions and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with goat cheese; serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- The beets and wheat berries can both be cooked several days in advance of serving this salad. Then reheat them and toss with the remaining ingredients when you plan to serve the salad.Serve this salad warm, room temperature or chilled.