2 cup(s), sliced, or thawed frozen sliced rhubarb
7 Tbsp, granulated
1 pound(s), hulled and sliced
White whole wheat flour
4 Tbsp, unsalted, cut into pieces
2% reduced fat buttermilk
1 item(s), large
½ tsp, grated
Fat free whipped topping
¾ cup(s), thawed frozen
- Combine rhubarb, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl to cool. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and lemon zest in small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until soft dough forms (dough will be wet).
- Turn dough onto well-floured work surface. Press dough together and pat until 1/2 inch thick. With floured 2-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits without twisting cutter. Gather scraps and reroll, making total of 12 biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 15–17 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- To serve, split biscuits in half. Place bottoms of biscuits on 12 plates and top each with generous 1/4 cup of rhubarb-strawberry mixture. Cover with tops of biscuits. Top each shortcake with 1 tablespoon of whipped topping. Serve immediately.
- Per serving: 1 biscuit, 1/4 cup compote, and 1 tablespoon topping