Red Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 2 medium uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 29 oz fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound(s) dry lentils, red, washed
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) plain fat free yogurt
- In a medium nonstick pot heat oil; add cumin, coriander, red pepper and cinnamon, stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and carrots. Cook until just tender, 5 minutes.
- Add broth, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer until lentils are tender about 20 minutes. Purée in batches in blender.
- Serve with dollop of yogurt. Yields 1 1/4 cups soup and 1 tablespoon yogurt per serving.