Quick Vegetarian Chili
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 14 1/2 oz stewed tomato(es)
- 15 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 1/4 oz canned yellow corn, drained
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup(s) dehydrated onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp low fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, onion and pepper; stir well.
- Increase heat to high and bring chili to a boil; cook, stirring frequently, until chili is thick and flavors are concentrated, about 5 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese per serving.
Use a heavy pot or the chili can burn easily. If it starts to stick to the pan, reduce the heat and stir constantly.