- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 package(s) frozen mixed vegetables, chopped onion and bell pepper mixture
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with chipotle chiles*
- 1 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted
- 2 tsp chili powder, medium heat suggested
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 15 oz canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic and frozen vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables thaw and any liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add beef; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up clumps of beef with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, salt, black pepper and beans; cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until some liquid evaporates, meat is cooked through and chili thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Yield about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- *If you can’t find canned diced tomatoes with chipotle chilies, either use a 14.5 ounce can of plain diced tomatoes and add 1/8 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder to the mixture, or substitute a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (the latter will be quite spicy). Substitute lean ground turkey or chicken for the beef if you prefer (could affect SmartPoints value and cooking time).