Poached pears with red wine and star anise
2 cup(s), boiling
3 item(s), Red Zinger or Raspberry Zinger
16 fl oz, (2 cups), dry
3 strip(s), (3-inch), removed with vegetable peeler
raw Bosc pear(s)
4 item(s), (1/2-pound each), firm-ripe, peeled, halved, and cored
plain fat free Greek yogurt
shelled pistachio nuts
2 Tbsp, coarsely chopped
- Pour boiling water into glass measuring cup or bowl; add tea bags and let steep 4 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard; pour tea into large saucepan. Add wine, sugar, orange zest, cardamom pods, and star anise; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add pears; place sheet of wax paper on top of pears to keep them submerged. Cook, covered, until pears are just tender when pierced with small knife, 30–35 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; uncover and let pears cool in wine mixture.
- When pears are cool, with slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl; set aside.
- Bring wine mixture to boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to about 2⁄3 cup, 10–15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let syrup cool to room temperature. Discard orange zest, cardamom, and star anise.
- To serve, place 1 pear half, cut side up, in each of 8 serving dishes or dessert plates. Spoon syrup evenly over pears. Spoon yogurt evenly on top of or alongside pears and sprinkle with pistachios.
- Per serving: 1 pear half, about 1 1/2 tablespoons syrup, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and scant 1 teaspoon pistachios