This is a version of Philadelphia's favorite street food but with a twist: lean chicken breast instead of fatty beef. We used low-fat American cheese, but any low-fat cheese can be used.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), pounded, cut into strips
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper(s), thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 slice(s) low fat American cheese single(s)
- 4 roll(s) reduced calorie hot dog bun(s)
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and very soft, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, salt, and black pepper; cook until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 5−8 minutes.
Place 1 slice American cheese in each bun. Spoon chicken mixture down center of each bun. Close bun to help cheese melt slightly.
Serving size: 1 cheese steak