Pasta with Butternut Squash and Sage
- Total Time
The slightly tart buttermilk in this creamy pasta sauce goes beautifully with the sweet butternut squash. Fresh sage just seals the deal.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
uncooked butternut squash20 oz, fresh, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch chunks*
uncooked bow tie pasta8 oz
table salt⅛ tsp, for cooking pasta
low-fat buttermilk1 cup(s)
table salt½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
grated Parmesan cheese5 ⅓ Tbsp, Parmigiano Reggiano recommended, divided (1/4 cup plus 4 tsp)
fresh sage3 Tbsp, minced
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place squash on prepared baking sheet and roast until tender and starting to caramelize, about 25 to 30 minutes.**
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. After squash has been roasting for about 15 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- Add squash, buttermilk, salt and pepper to pot; toss over low heat to warm through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and sage; toss to mix and coat.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of pasta into each of 4 serving bowls; top each with 1 teaspoon of remaining Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.