- 4 small uncooked beets, red and/or yellow, leaves and stems cut off, beets scrubbed
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 6 cup(s) arugula, baby leaves (about 4 oz)
- 2 medium orange(s), navel, peel and pith removed, sliced
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place beets on a large piece of aluminum foil; fold foil to form a tightly sealed packet. Place packet on a baking sheet and roast until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
Cool beets slightly. When cool enough to handle, rub off skins with your fingers or a small knife; thinly slice.
In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, shallots, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add arugula to bowl; toss to coat. Top arugula with oranges and beets; gently toss to coat. Grind more black pepper over top, if desired. Divide among four plates and serve.Yields 1 salad per serving.