- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 rib(s) uncooked celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 medium uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 8 oz uncooked rutabaga(s), chopped
- 2 cube(s) vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano, or a combination of dried Italian herbs
- 1 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, shells or other small shape
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped (for garnish)
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and rutabaga; cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in prepared vegetable stock; add tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer over a very low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add pasta to saucepan. Cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes more. Taste soup and season to taste as necessary. Ladle into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
- Cook's tip: Cool, cover and refrigerate any soup that you don’t use, and eat within three days, or freeze the soup to use another time.