- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 medium uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 8 oz uncooked rutabaga(s), chopped
- 2 cube(s) vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano, or a combination of dried Italian herbs
- 1 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, shells or other small shape
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped (for garnish)
Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and rutabaga; cook for about 3 minutes.
Pour in prepared vegetable stock; add tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer over a very low heat for about 15 minutes.
Add pasta to saucepan. Cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes more. Taste soup and season to taste as necessary. Ladle into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Cook's tip: Cool, cover and refrigerate any soup that you don’t use, and eat within three days, or freeze the soup to use another time.