- 1 medium uncooked red onion(s)
- 1 small sweet red pepper(s), seeded
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded
- 2 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, or less to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
- 4 item(s) reduced calorie hamburger roll(s), Avocado Topping
- 1/2 item(s), medium avocado, ripe, mashed
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste Other Ingredients
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 medium fresh tomato(es), beefsteak, cut into 4 thick slices
- 4 leaf/leaves, large lettuce, romaine
Cut onion into four even pieces; set aside one piece. Place remaining 3 onion pieces, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, oregano, cumin and salt in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped (can also be finely chopped and combined by hand). Fold breadcrumbs and turkey into vegetable mixture; form into 4 even patties and chill until ready to grill (patties can be made up to 2 days prior to cooking).
When ready to serve, to make avocado topping, mince remaining piece onion; place 1 tablespoon in a bowl and reserve rest of onion for garnish. Add avocado, cilantro, lime juice and cumin to bowl; season to taste with salt.
Off heat, coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; heat to medium-high heat. Grill burgers until cooked all the way through (internal temperature should be at least 165ºF), flipping once, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Grill buns until toasted. Serve each burger on toasted bun with 1 tomato slice, 1 piece lettuce, about 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado spread and a sprinkle of reserved minced onion. Yields 1 burger per serving.
- This recipe is easily doubled to feed a crowd.