- 1 cup(s) dry lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove debris
- 2 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 medium plum tomato(es), diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup(s), chopped uncooked red onion(s)
- 3/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 cup(s) English cucumber(s), diced
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Bring lentils and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are just tender but not mushy, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomatoes, oil, onion, salt and pepper until well-mixed; let stand while lentils cook, tossing occasionally.
Drain lentils; set aside to cool.
Add cooled lentils, cucumber, parsley and lemon juice to tomato mixture; toss to mix and coat. Serve or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- Chopped fresh mint and crumbled feta cheese would make tasty additions to this recipe (could affect SmartPoints value).