- 5 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced (or to taste)
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 70 oz plum tomato(es), whole, canned, mashed into pieces
- 6 oz canned tomato paste
- 6 Tbsp basil, fresh
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp table salt
- 3/4 pound(s) whole milk ricotta cheese, fresh recommended
- 2 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, high-quality recommended, divided
- 12 item(s) uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 pound(s) whole milk mozzarella cheese, fresh recommended, shredded, divided
To make sauce, coat a large heavy pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add oil; when it starts to shimmer, add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic begins to soften and become fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions turn translucent and start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, sugar, red pepper flakes and salt; stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring every 20 minutes, scrapping bottom and sides of the pot, until sauce reduces slightly and thickens, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large lasagna pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, parsley and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; stir in about 1/3 cup tomato sauce so ricotta mixture turns pink.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of sauce on bottom of prepared pan. Cover sauce with 4 lasagna noodles, breaking up some noodles to form a single layer, if necessary. Cover noodles with 1/2 of ricotta mixture and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese; spoon 1/3 of remaining sauce over top.
Add another layer of noodles and remainder of ricotta mixture; sprinkle with 1/3 of mozzarella cheese and another 1/3 of sauce.
Add the final layer of noodles and cover with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
Bake until noodles are cooked through, cheese melts and sauce begins to bubble in bottom of dish, about 35 or 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let lasagna sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into 12 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.