Enjoy this fennel and oregano-infused side dish with grilled steak or pork. Or chop the veggies and toss with chunks of cooked chicken or turkey sausage.
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/2 pound(s) cubanelle pepper(s), thinly sliced (Italian frying peppers)
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp basil, fresh (for garnish)
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; stir-fry, until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with salt, fennel seeds, oregano and pepper; stir-fry 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar; garnish with basil. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.