Chockfull of vegetables, this is one heck of a bowl of soup. Toss in white beans or chopped shrimp for a light lunch.
- 2 cup(s) escarole, chopped
- 2 cup(s) fresh spinach, baby leaves
- 2 small uncooked zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb(s), thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 6 cup(s) fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, leaves
Put escarole, spinach, zucchini, fennel, red pepper, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, partly covered, for about 10 minutes.
Stir in salt, black pepper, parsley and basil. Serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese for extra flavor (could affect SmartPoints values).