Store-bought reduced-fat pesto gives these sandwiches easy, authentic Italian flavor. It's wonderful for flavoring potatoes and eggs too.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1/2 small uncooked red onion(s), sliced into four 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 item(s) reduced calorie hamburger roll(s), toasted
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat pesto sauce
- 12 leaf/leaves basil
- 1/2 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), drained, chopped
Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; preheat to medium-high.
Pound chicken until 1/4-inch thick (to see a video about pounding chicken, click here). Season both sides of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Coat onion with cooking spray and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
Place chicken and onion on grill. Cook chicken until browned and cooked through, flipping once, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cook onion until softened and grill marks appear, flipping once, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each piece of chicken in half so it fits better on buns.
Spread each bun bottom with 1 1/2 teaspoons pesto sauce; top each with 2 pieces chicken, 1 slice onion separated into rings, 3 basil leaves, 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper and a bun top. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.