Grilled tuna, red onion, and roasted pepper sandwiches
Reduced calorie mayonnaise
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
2 tsp, grated
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, cut into 4 thick slices
Sweet red pepper(s)
1 medium, seeded and quartered
1 Tbsp, exra-virgin
¼ tsp, freshly ground
Uncooked yellowfin tuna
24 oz, steak, or other tuna variety, 4 (6-ounce and 1⁄2 inch thick)
8 slice(s), medium, about 3 x 5 inches
1 cup(s), loosely packed leaves
- Combine the mayonnaise, basil, and lemon zest in a small bowl; set aside.
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill.
- Brush the onion slices and bell pepper pieces with 1 teaspoon of the oil, then sprinkle evenly with 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the pepper. Place on the grill rack and cook until the vegetables are well marked and tender, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Brush the tuna with 1 teaspoon of the oil, then sprinkle with the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Place the tuna steaks on the grill and cook until browned on the outside but still a little pink in the center, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer the tuna to a plate and set aside.
- Place 1⁄4 cup arugula leaves on each of 4 slices of bread; top each with an onion slice, a piece of bell pepper, and a tuna steak. Spread one side of each of the remaining 4 bread slices with the mayonnaise mixture, then place on top of the tuna steaks. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.